Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Pantry Posts: Substitutes Part II

With Substitutes Part I, we stayed with items stored in the pantry. In this next Pantry Post I'll start with some that are stored in the pantry as well as other items that are refrigerated.

Before sharing, in healthing up your pantry, don't stress about changing everything out now. Make small changes each time you go buy food for you and your family. You may scare your family into thinking you are a crazy nut to think they are going to eat that way. Also, by doing it gradually you can price out the healthy food options before purchasing. Your budget will thank you later. My husband wishes I had done it that way at first.


Now let us continue with the substitutes . . .


Sweetened Condensed Milk- How can something taste so good yet work against the body being healthy? No worries, we have another option . . .

Sub: Coconut cream, butter, or oil (cold pressed). The only thing to take note is that these are not to be heated. They can break done easily into bad trans fats when used in cooking or baking. I am refining my recipe for pumpkin pie using coconut cream. I'm hoping it will be ready for Thanksgiving. Let me know if you have used any other healthy options in lieu of sweetened condensed milk.


Bleached White Pasta- For the Italian food lovers there are options that taste just as good and no one will notice.

Sub: Brown rice pasta (I like this brand), buckwheat soba noodles, whole wheat pasta


Soy Sauce- There are tons of conflicting views on soy products. I was extremely frustrated to have a person share their opinion to me while I was buying some soy milk while pregnant. Constructive criticism is fine but out right putting down a person's choice is not. I took what I could from the experience and read up on as much as I could on the subject. I suggest you do the same. From my knowledge, I believe that consuming NON-GMO (non-genetically modified) soy beans are safe and goof for the body. As well as non-fermented sources of soy too. You make your own call. Make sure you check your organic soy to see if it is NON-GMO. If it is not labeled on the package, than it is most likely not.



Mayonnaise- You may be buying "real" mayo but it may not be real healthy for your body.

Sub: Vegenaise made with grapeseed oil. You will enjoy this more than regular mayo. You may even want to classify it as a dressing instead of a mayo substitute, it's that good. Grapeseed oil in two studies showed that if taken in a small amount daily with a good diet will increase your good cholesterol (HDL), and lower your bad cholesterol (LDL).

No comments: