Friday, January 2, 2009

Start Off the New Year Right

I'm sure most all of us don't need to be convinced that exercising is good for the body. And, now that the holidays are over and there is more of us to love (or at least more of me), I'm sure most of you are resolving to recommit to your workout schedule. Well, last year I chose to say goodbye to my favorite form of exercise (running), to prevent possible surgery on my feet and knees. It was a hard choice but I have felt good about the decision. So, in search of other forms of exercise, for someone who needed low impact but wanted results, I came across a few I really like and wanted to pass along the information, especially to those in my situation. These exercises would be great for seniors too.

My favorite right now is the rebounder mini trampoline. I actually have been using this form of exercise for years and when I use it consistently I get major results. Pros: Easy to use, fun, can watch t.v. while using it, I usually see significant results. Cons: For an outdoor lover, it's not the easiest to use outside (at least for me since I have a small yard) plus it's not a form of exercise I feel comfortable having my neighbors see me doing. Some places to visit for more info - here, and NASA even did a study on it, look here. My favorite rebounder that I love but can't afford is here.

Yoga. Surprisingly you can burn a significant amount of calories in an hour and break a sweat while doing yoga. For the past few months I have been consistently waking up in the early morning to do yoga. I not only enjoy the peaceful movements but it has been helping me with my achilles tendon that has been causing me problems. My favorite class I've been to is on the television. If you have BYUTV the Yoga series on at 4 am PST, is great (I DVR it and use at a different time).

A vibrating machine. There are a growing amount of medical studies on vibrating machines. Particularly on older women (65+ years) and if it helps osteoporosis. Some studies may lead you to believe that it does but personally I think the ruling is still out on that until we get a long term study done. It is believed that these machines can help the body release nitric oxide (which helps cells communicate with each other) and endorphins. I have not used one of these consistently but have tested out a few and have really liked how my body felt afterwards. It is on my wish list now.

Bicycling. I love being outside and miss that the most from not being able to run. Bicycling can be hard to get into in the beginning so start off on flat terrain and BE SAFE. I have yet to get a bike, it is also another item on my wish list. This is the option my doctor suggested I do in lieu of running. He told me it is the equivalent to running in exercise intensity without being harsh on the body like running can be. I'd like a 24 speed and cruiser from here.

You will notice I don't have as much to report on the last two but that is because I haven't been able to test them out on a consistent basis. I'm hoping to try them out more this upcoming year.

Whatever you choose just resolve to choose something this year. Doing even a small amount of exercise on a regular basis has been known to help various ailments like edema, arthritis, fibromyalgia, heart disease and others not to mention obesity.

Happy New Year!

No comments: